Labour Market Information
Labour Market Information for BC
Job Seekers and Employers
Under the Canada-BC Labour Market Agreement, the province of British Columbia becomes responsible for provincial, regional and local Labour Market Information for BC. The Province, led by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Labour Market Development (ALMD), is developing a provincial LMI system to support job seekers, employers and government to make informed labour market decisions. The federal government continues to be responsible for national Labour Market Information.
What is Labour Market Information?
Labour Market information (LMI) is a variety of information on careers, occupations, learning and the labour market, used to help make informed decisions about the labour market and the transitions that affect people’s lives.
It includes information concerning conditions in, or the operation of, the labour market such as employment descriptions, industry growth/decline, required skill sets for the job market, wages and working conditions, standards and qualifications, job openings and unemployment rates, labour market programs and labour regulations
Why Use LMI?
- To identify opportunities in the job market
- To understand labour market conditions and trends
- To predict outlooks for various occupational groups based on a variety of factors (economic, demographic, social and political)
- To provide information to support informed employment and career decisions
Who Needs LMI?
- Job Seekers – to identify job opportunities, wage rates and working conditions
- Career Decision Makers – to understand the needs of and opportunities in the labour market
- Employers – to identify and locate potential employees and to ensure wage rate and working condition competitiveness
- Governments - to understand and respond effectively to trends in the labour market and the economy
Where to Find Labour Market Information for BC?
- Job Bank
- Advanced Education and Labour Market Development
- Service Canada LMI
- BC Stats
- Conference Board of Canada